Standards and Communications in Teaching (1 semester credit - Adams State University)
“I really enjoyed the course. It was straight forward and easy to use. The instructor was very elaborate in her responses, and helped to clarify questions. All responses were received in a timely manner as well. It was a great course with good pacing and I learned lots of material in a short amount of time that I can use in future classroom environments.”
1 Graduate Credit
- Grading: A-F
- Materials: Included in the course fee!
- Graduate Credit: 1 Graduate Credit
- Instruction Mode: Self-paced, Asynchronous (Online Class)
- Time Frame: Enroll and start any time
See inside this course...
In an age where there are multiple approaches to teaching and educating students, it becomes important to ensure that a particular standard is maintained. This class helps educators achieve goals, while empowering you with skills and tools to deliver the best of quality education. Standards and Communications in Teaching is a three part integrated course that highlights various strategies for facilitating student learning and improving academic achievement. It also focuses on positive communication, both with students and parents, in order to achieve excellence in education. In alignment with the Common Core, SECTION A of this course helps educators understand more about standards-based education, while SECTION B equips educators with assessment tools that help maintain these standards. Together, they help educators explore the challenges in incorporating standards; as well as provide strategies to help overcome any obstacles. Partnering with parents can impact educational outcomes in a huge way. It helps increase student motivation, and even increases teacher motivation. SECTION C helps teachers develop communication skills that will help them partner with parents effectively, thus gaining their support as they explore and implement the latest standards. This integrated course is rich with practical ideas, strategies and exercises that provide educators with an extensive knowledge contributing to improved student performance. Self-paced Professional Development Credit classes incorporate online content, quizzes, interactivities and a Course Action Plan you can put to use in your work environment. Learning takes place asynchronously, at your convenience, and may be completed over a period of 4 weeks. Note, teachers looking for graduate credits, please check with your issuing authority about whether it will accept these online teacher courses.
Objectives & Outcomes:
As a result of successful participation in SECTION A, Integrating Standards, students should be able to:
- Understand and identify various types of standards.
- Understand challenges of standards-based instruction.
- Understand the concept of discipline integration and its limitations.
- Implement combined integration and plan assessment.
- Implement multidiscipline integration.
- Implement inter-discipline integration.
- Implement trans-discipline integration.
- Plan and implement effective assessment during integration.
- Create effective learning objectives.
- Manage the classroom effectively, during the process of integration.
- Understand the concept of formative assessment
- Implement various types of formative assessment
- Understand the role of feedback in formative assessment.
- Give effective feedback to students during formative assessment.
- Implement formative assessment in standards-based education.
- Establish a role in the parent-partnership process, at any grade level.
- Recognize and understand parent types and how to communicate and connect across each type accordingly.
- Provide a safe and trusting environment for students by acknowledging basic needs.
- Put parents at ease in partnership with teacher.
- Plan and organize classroom and school based activities to encourage parent partnership.
- Support parent volunteers to make their experience rewarding.
- Implement strategies that will enable parents to get involved in the learning process from home.
- Communicate effectively with parents.
- Respond positively to challenging situations such as bullying, lies, stealing, parental anger and violence.
After completing the course, you will be directed to the university for registration.