Renew a Teaching License in OH
(not an Ohio teacher, click here to find your state)
How do I keep and renew a teaching license in Ohio?
Teachers use online professional development and continuing education courses to renew a teaching license in OH. RenewaTeachingLicense.com online classes for teachers to get clock hours or semester hour courses with Ashland University, a regionally accredited university in OH, have been used to help meet state requirements for renewing a teaching license in Ohio.
What state requirements does a teacher in OH need to meet for renewal?
According to the OH Department of Education, OH teachers currently employed in an Ohio public school or district, chartered non-public school or community school are responsible for the design of an Individual Professional Development Plan.
In accordance with the approved plan, the educator must complete:
Coursework and CEUs may be combined.
Educators not currently employed in an Ohio public school or district, chartered non-public school or community school may renew with one of the following:
- Coursework: Submit official transcript(s) from an accredited college or university reflecting the completed renewal coursework requirements with the online application.
- Accreditation: Educators must complete coursework through an accredited college or university.
- Dates of coursework: Educators who wish to renew their licenses must have completed coursework after the issue date of the license they wish to renew.
- Course requirements for currently expiring licenses: Complete six semester hours of coursework. Educators must complete renewal coursework prior to September 1 of the expiration year of the license to be renewed, or the renewal requirement increases to nine semester hours.
- Course requirements for licenses that have lapsed for up to five years: Complete nine semester hours of coursework.
- Course requirements for licenses that have lapsed more than five years: Complete twelve semester hours of coursework.
Looking for online continuing education and staff development for schools or districts? Check out 100% online PD at ConnectedPD.com!
How do I contact the OH Department of Education?
Contact the Ohio Department of Education
25 South Front Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215-4183
Disclaimer: Please ensure the information and courses meet requirements for your teaching certificate and circumstances and align with what your state Department of Education requires. The new continuing education information and courses listed on this page are current as of July 1st, 2020 to meet the best information available. State licensing requirements and school district approval processes may change and it is your responsibility as a licensed or certified teacher to know your state certification renewal requirements and the process for submission and approval of all professional and staff development hours for renewing a license, licensing and certificate renewal and expired or lapsed certification. Professional Learning Board can not guarantee acceptance by your school, district, state Department of Education or licensing authority.