Renew a Teaching Certificate in NE
(not a Nebraska teacher, click here to find your state)
How do I renew a teaching certificate in NE?
What state requirements does a teacher in Nebraska need to meet for recertification?
According to the NE Department of Education, you must have recent teaching experience or college credit hours for renewal of a teaching certificate. The following three options are listed as meeting the requirement:
- Submit verification of experience form indicating teaching for one (1) year within the immediate past five (5) years or
- Have completed six (6) graduate semester hours in education or your content area, within the immediate past five (5) years while holding or qualified to hold a teaching certificate that has not expired.
What state requirements does a teacher in NE need to meet to reinstate an expired teaching certificate?
If your teaching certificate is expired for more than five (5) years, fifteen (15) specific graduate semester hours in education are required.
What state requirements does a substitute teacher in Nebraska need to meet for renewal?
- Verification on the state NSSRS system of fifty (50) days of substitute teaching within five (5) years prior to the date of application or
- Official transcript of three (3) semester hours of graduate college credit in education completed within five (5) years prior to the application date.
How does a teacher in Nebraska renew a postsecondary teaching certificate?
- Verification of teaching a dual credit course for Nebraska high school students in two (2) semesters/quarters or
- Official transcripts of three (3) semester hours of graduate credit in
education related coursework within the last three (3) years prior to the date of application.
Looking for online continuing education and staff development for schools or districts? Check out 100% online PD at ConnectedPD.com!
How do I contact the NE Department of Education?
Contact the Nebraska Department of Education
P.O. Box 94987
Lincoln, NE 68509-4987
Disclaimer: Please ensure the information and courses meet requirements for your teaching certificate and circumstances and align with what your state Department of Education requires. The new continuing education information and courses listed on this page are current as of August 28th, 2023 to meet the best information available. State licensing requirements and school district approval processes may change and it is your responsibility as a licensed or certified teacher to know your state certification renewal requirements and the process for submission and approval of all professional and staff development hours for renewing a license, licensing and certificate renewal and expired or lapsed certification. Professional Learning Board can not guarantee acceptance by your school, district, state Department of Education or licensing authority.