Renew a Teaching Certificate in AL
(not an Alabama teacher, click here to find your state)
How do I renew a teaching certificate in AL?
RenewaTeachingLicense.com courses have been used to meet state requirements for renewing and align to the AL Standards for Effective Professional Development. You may also need to get verification from your principal, school administrator, superintendent or director. Visit ALSDE for more information and processes on renewing your certificate.
What state requirements does a teacher in AL need to meet for renewal?
According to the application for renewal on the Alabama State Department of Education site, teachers can renew their teaching certificate with the following options:
- 3 full years of full-time professional educational work experience and 50 clock hours of allowable professional development.
- 3 semester hours of allowable credit and 50 clock hours of allowable professional development.
- 100 clock hours of continuing education courses completed at a regionally accredited college or university. If you need these courses, contact us for more information.
NOTE: College course credit is not equivalent to clock hours of professional development.
How do I reinstate an expired Alabama teaching certificate?
Here is an online application for renewal. If your certificate has lapsed for less than 12 months, here are a couple of options you may use to reinstate your certification:
- 6 semester hours and 50 clock hours of allowable professional development completed within five years (60 months) immediately prior to receipt of the application in the Educator Certification Section.
- 150 clock hours of of continuing education courses completed at a regionally accredited college or university. If you need these courses, contact us for more information.
How do I get free clock hours for teachers in Alabama?
Looking for online continuing education and staff development for schools or districts? Check out 100% online PD at ConnectedPD.com!
How do I contact the AL Department of Education?
Contact the Alabama Department of Education
50 N Ripley St, PO Box 302101, Montgomery, AL 36104
Disclaimer: Please ensure the information and courses meet requirements for your teaching certificate and circumstances and align with what your state Department of Education requires. The new continuing education information and courses listed on this page are current as of September 12th, 2023 to meet the best information available. State licensing requirements and school district approval processes may change and it is your responsibility as a licensed or certified teacher to know your state certification renewal requirements and the process for submission and approval of all professional and staff development hours for renewing a license, licensing and certificate renewal and expired or lapsed certification. Professional Learning Board can not guarantee acceptance by your school, district, state Department of Education or licensing authority.