Renew a Teaching Certificate in TX
(not a Texas teacher, click here to find your state)
How do I keep and renew a teaching certificate in Texas?
Teachers use online professional development and continuing education courses to renew a teaching certificate in TX. Renew a Teaching Certificate from Professional Learning Board is an approved provider of CPEs for teachers in Texas (CPE #901-936).
1 semester credit hour = 15 clock hours.
What state requirements does a teacher in TX need to meet for renewal?
150 Continuing professional education (CPE) hours are required to renew a standard Texas Teaching certificate.
Continuing education requirements for a classroom teacher shall be related to the certificate(s) being renewed and focus on the standards required for issuance of the certificate(s), including:
According to the Texas Education Agency (TEA), a classroom teacher must attain at least 37.5 hours of CPE that includes training directly related to each of the following topics and may include two or more listed topics combined:
- collecting and analyzing information that will improve effectiveness in the classroom
- recognizing early warning indicators that a student may be at risk of dropping out of school
- digital learning, digital teaching, and integrating technology into classroom instruction
- educating diverse student populations, including:
• students who are eligible to participate in special education programs;
• students who are eligible to receive educational services;
• students with mental health conditions or who engage in substance abuse;
• students with intellectual or developmental disabilities;
• students who are educationally disadvantaged;
• students of limited English proficiency; and
• students at risk of dropping out of school.
- Understanding appropriate relationships, boundaries, and communications between educators and students.
Other professional development CPE hours that may apply and may be used for certificate renewal:
- Suicide prevention training
- Education courses that use technology to increase the educator’s digital literacy; and assist the educator in the use of digital technology in learning activities that improve teaching, assessment, and instructional practices.
Educators who teach students with dyslexia must include training regarding new research and practices in educating students with dyslexia.
What state requirements does a school counselor in Texas need to meet for renewal?
200 Continuing professional education (CPE) hours are required to renew a school counselor certificate.
According to the TEA, continuing education requirements for school counselors shall be related to the certificate(s) being renewed and focus on the standards required for issuance of the certificate(s), including:
A school counselor must attain at least 50 hours of CPE that includes training directly
related to each of the following topics:
- Assisting students in developing high school graduation plans
- Implementing dropout prevention strategies
- Informing students concerning: college admissions, including college financial aid and resources and application procedures; and career opportunities
- Counseling students concerning mental health conditions and substance abuse,
including through the use of grief-informed and trauma-informed interventions and crisis management and suicide prevention strategies.
How do I get free CPEs for teachers in Texas?
Looking for online continuing education and staff development for schools or districts? Check out 100% online PD at ConnectedPD.com!
How do I contact the TX Education Agency (TEA)?
Contact the Texas Education Agency
1701 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas, 78701
Disclaimer: Please ensure the information and courses meet requirements for your teaching certificate and circumstances and align with what your state Department of Education requires. The new continuing education information and courses listed on this page are current as of August 31st, 2021 to meet the best information available. State licensing requirements and school district approval processes may change and it is your responsibility as a licensed or certified teacher to know your state certification renewal requirements and the process for submission and approval of all professional and staff development hours for renewing a license, licensing and certificate renewal and expired or lapsed certification. Professional Learning Board can not guarantee acceptance by your school, district, state Department of Education or licensing authority.