Online PD Courses for teachers in Virginia (VA)
(not a Virginia teacher, click here to find your state)
How do I keep and renew a teaching license in Virginia?
Teachers use online professional development and continuing education courses to renew a teaching license in VA. Licenses for renewal may be submitted to the Office of Licensure any time after January 1 of the year of expiration. Renewal requests should not be submitted prior to January 1 of the year of expiration. Points for renewal will be based upon activities that may be earned from graduate credit courses from a regionally accredited university or professional development activities.
One semester hour = 30 points
5 clock/contact hours = 5 points
The substance or content of each renewal activity must be consistent with the license holder’s goal(s) for professional development and must clearly fit one or more of six domains of professional competency in education.
Virginia Domains of Professional Competency:
- Curriculum or subject(s) specifically related to one’s assigned professional duties or responsibilities;
- Specialization area one serves or reasonably expects to serve, such as English, mathematics, history and social studies, sciences, career and technical education, or special education;
- Concepts, principles, and methods of effective teaching, supervision, and administration, such as classroom and behavior management, leadership skills, curriculum development, and administrative management;
- Concepts and principles of physical, intellectual, psychological, social, and emotional development of children and youth;
- Concepts and principles of communication, learning, exceptionality, individuality, and cultural differences, such as oral and written communication, motivation, retention, and individual differences; and
- Concepts and principles of effective relationships among schools, families, and communities.
In response to 2018 General Assembly legislation (House Bill 1125 and Senate Bill 349), effective July 1, 2018, the Board of Education issues ten-year renewable licenses. No longer are five-year renewable licenses issued. On January 24, 2019, the Board of Education approved that individuals renewing ten-year licenses will be required to complete 270 professional development points for renewal.
How do I contact the VA Department of Education?
Contact the Virginia Department of Education
101 N 14th St
Richmond, VA 23219
The information and courses listed on this page are presented as of March 9th 2020. Please note that state licensing requirements and school district approval processes may change and it is the responsibility of each teacher to know their licensing requirements and the process for submission and approval of all professional development and licensing requirements. Professional Learning Board does not guarantee acceptance by your school, district or licensing authority.